Recent consumer reports estimate that 27% of people have trouble sleeping most nights, and that close to 68% of people have trouble sleeping at least one time during any given night. Although we don’t know what percent of these people are being kept up by bed bug infestations, we can assume that bed bugs play a part in this statistic. Having bugs feed on your blood while you sleep is not a good recipe for a restful night. If you are curious if bed bugs are contributing to your sleep problems, or are worried that bed bugs might get into your Collierville home, Proven Pest Management is here to help.
How can I tell if my home has bed bugs?
When bed bugs invade homes, they are good at remaining hidden. Your chances of seeing live bed bugs crawling around, especially during the day, are little to none. They are, however, less skilled at hiding their tracks. Here are some signs you can look for to identify a bed bug infestation in your Collierville home.
- Dots of dried blood on your bedding, the result of dribbling after bed bugs have fed late at night.
- Small red bites on your skin in a zigzag pattern or straight line.
- Specs of black fecal matter in the seams of your mattress.
- Tiny piles of see-through eggs in cracks or crevices throughout your bedroom.
- Live, reddish-brown, oval-shaped bed bugs hiding under mattresses, deep inside furniture, or inside cracks around the room.
- (With larger infestations) A distinct musty odor in the air. Some describe this scent as smelling like coriander.
Keep in mind, spotting bed bugs becomes easier the larger the infestation becomes. However, it is not recommended to wait for bed bug populations to get into the thousands just so you can spot them. If you suspect your home could have a bed bug infestation but aren’t sure, reach out to the professionals here at Proven Pest Management. We will send one of our technicians your way ASAP to inspect your home and make sure it is bed bug-free.
What causes you to get bed bugs?
Bed bugs are hitchhiking pests that do not ask permission before hitching a ride home with you. They don’t stand on the side of the road with their thumbs us, but rather climb on any object they can find in the hopes that it will be carried to a place they can call home. This could be anything from an article of clothing to a couch. They prefer items where they can hide in cracks or crevices to stay out of view. All it takes is you bringing one bed bug-infested item home with you for an infestation to begin in your home.
Are bed bugs preventable?
Preventing bed bugs can be a difficult task simply because of the number of places they exist and the long list of items they can hitch a ride on. The only way to stop them is by spotting them and not bringing them home with you. Without vigilance and a highly trained eye, this can be difficult. Here are a few things you can do to minimize your risk of bringing bed bugs home with you.
- Check hotel rooms for the signs of bed bugs before settling in.
- Store used clothing in plastic bags when coming home from vacation and wash them immediately when you get home.
- Don’t leave a bag or suitcase, etc on the floor for more than 20 minutes when in a highly-populated area.
- Teach your friends and family about bed bugs and the signs they leave behind so they can be careful not to bring them into your home.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs If They Invade
- If bed bugs have gotten into your Collierville home, your best option is to call the professionals here at Proven Pest Management. Our pest technicians have the skills and tools needed to quickly and effectively remove bed bugs from your home.
- If you are curious to learn more about bed bugs, or you would like to schedule an appointment for your home, give us a call today.